07 Mar Why Going to the Dentist Regularly Helps You Save Your Teeth in the Long Run
Your semi-annual visits to the dental office are more important than you think. When you stay on top of your dental hygiene and meet with your dentist at least twice a year, your dentist is able to detect tooth decay (cavities), gum disease or dental oddities you may be facing before it’s either too late or too far down the line to fix at all.
The Dental Spa has seen many cases in its’ time where emergency type procedures could have been prevented easily with early on detection and treatment. Such cases are often ones where patients feel obliged to put in large sums of money to treat teeth or gums which could have been treated at a fraction of the cost – had they been detected earlier.
Frequently, people forgo visits to the dentist to avoid any pain, discomfort or because they don’t want to spend the money. Many of us prefer not to think of the consequences of missing our dental appointments but let’s face it – we end up having to deal with them anyway!
When you schedule and keep your dental appointment, not only are you able to detect problems early on, but you also have the opportunity to ask questions you may have had for some time about the latest flossing technologies, tooth brushing techniques, dental whitening options and other dental questions. Because we know how important it is for you to maintain your frequent dental visits to The Dental Spa, we have provided you with 5 reasons why you should always stay on top of your dental routine.
– By visiting the dentist regularly, you ensure you do not fall at risk of getting gum disease. Although often overlooked, gum disease is a serious condition that progresses and worsens with time if not treated. Many dietary habits, oral hygiene routines and other factors can lead to gum disease and eventually, even tooth loss. If not treated early on, some of these conditions can result in tooth loss. Regular dental visits will enable your dentist to diagnose any gum problems you may have and prevent any irreversible issues that may cost you a lot of time and money to fix (that’s if you’re lucky enough to salvage your teeth!)
– Brushing your teeth at home is not enough to ensure that your teeth, gums and mouth are in perfect condition. In addition to brushing at home, having a minimum of two in office specialized hygiene appointments a year is key to maintaining optimum oral health. It may be that you are brushing and flossing twice a day but you may not be brushing correctly which may result in unhealthy gums, cavities and other problems. At the Dental Spa, our Hygienist will also clean your teeth by removing dental plaque while making suggestions on your daily oral hygiene routine to ensure you are less likely to develop dental issues pertaining to your gums and/or teeth. Not only are teeth important to enhance your appearance, but a nice smile is also vital to your mental well-being and self-confidence so it’s important you take care of them.
– Visiting the dentist regularly, also means you will have a minimum of one yearly consultation and dental check-up and if needed, a full set of x-rays. X-rays allow your dentist get a better look at your teeth and their roots, your bite as well as jaw bones.
They help detect any occurring or re-occurring issues that may require your dentist’s urgent attention and action. X-rays can also help determine if the wisdom teeth are impacted and will need to be removed before they begin causing pain and discomfort. They can also cause other teeth to move which can result in the need for braces or other forms of Orthodontics, which is not only costly but also tiresome (especially if it’s your second time getting them!). Especially in the case of destructive diseases that show little to no symptoms but progress quickly, up-to-date x-rays and bi-annual checkups are the best way to keep on top of your oral health.
– At The Dental Spa, we recommend that our patients come in for a full dental consultation at least once a year, and have an in-office professional dental cleaning with the Hygienist a minimum of twice a year. For patients with gum disease, we recommend a visit to The Dental Spa for a dental cleaning every 4 months. During your check-ups, the dentist will check for any swelling, lumps, or other abnormalities. If an abnormality is found it could be a sign of a major health issue, and your dentist will alert you as well as refer you the appropriate medical professional if needed.
– Many of the emergency (as opposed to preventive) procedures we perform at The Dental Spa can have a permanent effect on the way we use our teeth. Root canal treatments, for example, may require a cap or “crown” and whilst crowns are strong, they are not as strong as your natural teeth so therefore prone to breaking or cracking and needing to be replaced if not taken care of properly. That said, with the recent advances in Dentistry, there are many options and alternatives to repair or improve our teeth – however, we believe that nothing really compares to the natural tooth and preventive, as opposed to emergency type procedures, are always favored to preserve our teeth and maintain optimum oral health.
Keeping all the reasons above in mind, we at The Dental Spa, believe in shedding light on the importance of preventive dentistry. Visiting your dentist twice a year helps keep your teeth, mouth and gums healthy, but also helps save money and time. Not only does it ensure that cavities don’t go undetected and eventually require more extensive and expensive treatment, but also that you don’t need to face the risk of irreparable damage to your teeth.
With a little effort and time today, you can build a solid dental routine that ensures a healthy, sustainable and aesthetically pleasing mouth and smile.